Job type: Contract-based
We are looking for a Freedom of Information Specialist to join the PrivacyWorks team. The Specialist will work closely with our clients to coordinate freedom of information requests as well as recommend information access policies, procedures, and guidelines to ensure compliance with applicable legislation.
What You’ll Do
- Coordinate freedom of information requests for our clients. This includes
- Receiving written applications for information and conducting a preliminary assessment of the application to determine whether it is clear, complete, and addressed to the correct public body;
- logging accepted requests and preparing acknowledgement letters;
- coordinating the collection of records with the appropriate staff;
- determining how complex and time consuming the request will be and preparing fee estimates when appropriate;
- reviewing records and leading the line by line review with the appropriate manager to determine whether there is anything that cannot be disclosed as set out in the Act; and
- preparing records for disclosure and recommending severing of information.
- Provide direction to our clients regarding procedures for routine disclosure of information.
- Prepare reports, updates, and briefings on progress of the corporate information access program and privacy program and current freedom of information issues as requested.
What We’re Looking For
- A Bachelor’s degree in Information Management or other relevant discipline plus five (5) years related experience. Completion of the Information Access and Protection of Privacy Certificate Program is an asset.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of federal and provincial privacy legislation and requirements, specifically in British Columbia. Knowledge of requirements of accreditation standards relating to confidentiality.
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to interact with tact and diplomacy with staff at all levels within an organization.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt and work effectively in a changing environment.
- Knowledge of electronic information systems and information management processes.
- Demonstrated expertise in the area of information access and privacy concepts, tools, and methods.
- Advanced proficiency with desktop software including Excel, Access, Word, and Internet/Intranet use.
PrivacyWorks is a full-service privacy consulting firm that works with organizations of all sizes across Canada and the US. We specialize in providing solutions to privacy challenges within a variety of industries and sectors such as Technology, Healthcare, and Government, and we are well known for providing comprehensive guidance surrounding the protection of personal and sensitive information.