Job Type: Full-time
Location: Remote (Canada)
We are looking for a Freedom of Information Analyst to join the PrivacyWorks team. The Analyst will work closely with our Senior FOI Specialist and clients to coordinate freedom of information requests as well as recommend information access policies, procedures, and guidelines to ensure compliance with applicable legislation. If you’re looking to build a career in the FOI/ATIP field and looking to join a fast-paced, growing consulting firm, we’d love to chat.
What You’ll Do
Process access requests for our clients in accordance with various provincial and federal information access legislation. As part of this job, responsibilities may include the following:
- Receive written applications for information and conducting a preliminary assessment of the application to determine whether it is clear, complete, and addressed to the correct public body.
- Log accepted requests and preparing acknowledgement letters.
- Coordinate the collection of records with the appropriate staff.
- Determine how complex and time consuming the request will be and preparing fee estimates when appropriate.
- Review records and leading the line-by-line review with the appropriate manager to determine whether there is anything that cannot be disclosed as set out in the Act.
- Prepare records for disclosure and recommending severing of information.
- Prepare reports, updates, and briefings on progress of the corporate information access program and privacy program and current freedom of information issues as requested.
- Assist our Senior FOI Specialist with other duties as required.
What We’re Looking For
- Diploma / Degree in Information Management, Public Administration or other directly related discipline and at least 1 year of experience performing analytical work.
- Experience interpreting applying legislation, preferably working with various FOI/ATIP Acts.
- Experience in word processing and other computer applications such as spreadsheets, email and databases (i.e. Microsoft Office Suite).
- Experience with redaction software (eg. Adobe, Redax, etc…).
- Knowledge of public sector privacy legislation, the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, the Information Management Act and their associated regulations, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of records management and procedures, including standards for filing and storage of electronic and hard copy documents.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to manage various tasks simultaneously.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Preference may be given to applicants who have one or more of the following types of experience:
- Direct experience in interpreting freedom of information or similar legislation at a provincial and federal level.
- Experience working in a high-volume customer-service environment.
PrivacyWorks is a full-service privacy and information access consulting firm that works with organizations of all sizes across Canada and the US. We specialize in providing solutions to privacy challenges within a variety of industries and sectors such as Technology, Healthcare, and Government, and we are well known for providing comprehensive guidance surrounding the protection of personal and sensitive information.